Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Shame of Selling Popcorn



"I was divorced by my wife because I sell popcorn." These are not my words; they are the exact words of a popcorn vendor at the Makola Market in Accra. I was enveloped in fascination when I caught sight of this man in his late thirties with his younger brother struggling to make ends meet with the selling of popcorn on a truck. The name of this popcorn seller is Agbeshi.
On the truck were two popcorn machines: one for salt flavored roasted corn and the other for sugar flavored roasted corn powered by an electrical generator and engulfed with a boom of music for the attraction and entertainment of prospective buyers. This man is a trained mechanical engineer by profession with a National Vocational Training Institute (NVTI) certificate. He told me that he decided to add the popcorn business to his professional work because his latter work was not lucrative enough to sustain him and his family in the capital of Ghana.
Agbesi narrated that he has been in the popcorn business for over four years. As the business flourished, he married his divorced wife. They had married for two and half years. He recalled a time when he was having a nap in his room in one foggy afternoon; his wife broke the news to him that she wants to discontinue the marriage with him. He embraced the news with shock and anguish! He told me that his wife jilted him as a result of mounting pressure from her parents. His wife’s parents asked her to break up with him because he was a ‘nobody’: a common popcorn seller.
According to him, some people mock him because he sells popcorn. Sometimes he is hired for funerals to prepare his delicious and appetising popcorn to sympathizers. Some people tease him that he always prays that someone should die for him to be hired. As he rightly put it, ‘some people laugh at me whenever they see me sell popcorn at the funeral grounds.’
He complained that indeed the cost of living in Accra is very hard especially, where he has to pull the truck to sell in the streets of Makola and other vantage points from 3pm to 11pm. He was however quick to add that business has been quite lucrative. Agbeshi is now married with two children: twins. He excitedly enunciated  that he is a proud popcorn peddler. 

                                                                                                      
video:"I am a proud popcorn peddler"!

4 comments:

  1. Agbesi,your ex wife will see you one day and regret leaving you. There is no shame in selling popcorn. I'm also a proud popcorn and snack vendor. Well done for starting a business on your own, you are smart. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is he still selling popcorn? I’d love to meet him, and buy some next time I’m in Accra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also sell popcorn. You know the kind of community we are living now, someone asked me " aa! Madam is your baby daddy not responsible enough to take care of you?” does this concern this person? I'm a graduate teacher of which my salary will be enough to take care of me and the my baby..... What I've observed in life is, whatever you will do people must talk.
    Just do what will benefit you and leave them. Up up we go.
    I wish you publish my business life some years to come because I see the hand of God manifesting👍🙏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I'm seriously researching into this business to plan and start-up quite big. That same people belittling Agbeshie might travel to the US and may not even get it to sell.

    ReplyDelete